on the Curl Web Content Markup Language

on the Curl Web Content Markup and Programming Language from www.curl.com and www.curlap.com

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rilke links in Curl

I added a simple web page with links to Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet.  Those pages are themselves in German, so I didn't anticipate any problem.  But when I did a simple edit to the Curl page in a cpanel text editor on my linux host, things began to go wrong.  All that I needed were the characters ä and å in the Windows-1252 encoding. I had chosen this character encodiing to investigate a quirk in the Opera browser.  But how to get the characters into the cpanel editor?

The Windows clipboard kept being "smart" and forcing the characters into 16-bit Unicode (the cahracters above were added using HTML entities - not an option in the source of the Curl text file.

Then a solution dawned on me: don't use an editor. Use the Windows command line! ALT-0228 and ALT-0229 on a cmd command line, mark, copy, paste into the web page for the cpanel editor (with the Curl file carefully re-loaded by the editor in Windows-1252) and all displayed correctly when the applet loaded.

The HTML file in which the Curl is an embedded Object is set to "windows-1252" and the Curl source file is set with a document character encoding on "win32:1252".

No comments:

Post a Comment